As a new role, the Development Manager will drive, develop and oversee the organisation’s fundraising and income generation development programme, including direct mail (acquisition and retention), telephone and digital fundraising platforms, and high-value fundraising working with corporate partners and major donors.
You will develop an overarching plan and programme, with the key aims of growing donor acquisition; developing the supporter journey to improve donor retention; and building the prospect pipeline for potential corporate and major donors.
Working across the Audience Development and Fundraising department, you will utilise audience insight, and develop, manage, and evaluate campaigns activity to further grow audience awareness, engagement and income. This will involve project managing cross- organisation campaigns across all channels to deliver against KPl’s and objectives including budget management, forecasting and phasing of spend. Your demonstrable experience of working innovatively will be critical in the targeting of growth in income generation.
The Development Manager will work closely with the Director of Audience Development and Fundraising to deliver against our engagement and income targets and to play a key role in shaping the marketing and communications around our donor engagement programme. You must have demonstrable experience of leading income generation strategies and of Direct Marketing experience via online and offline channels.
You will have experience of both acquiring and retaining new donors/customers from a B2C industry, gained in a not-for-profit, retail or membership background. With a clear understanding of relevant data protection legislation, and guided by best practice, you will have a proven track record of digital marketing, alongside solid project management skills and expert knowledge of content management systems and digital monitoring and tracking tools.
Reporting to the Director of Audience Development and Fundraising, additionally this role works closely with colleagues across the organisation, incorporating; finance team, database management, digital marketing, social networks, video, and SMS mobile (with the Marketing Team).
- Lead and manage the fundraising strategy to raise annual income growth in line with the organisation’s strategic direction.
- Ensure that the organisation’s development strategies are delivered whilst maintaining compliance with all relevant data protection legislation.
- Work in conjunction with the Director of Audience Development and Fundraising and CEO, to identify and secure funding from a range of sources, including the corporate sector and major donors.
- Oversee and deliver the organisation’s individual giving acquisition and retention strategy, identifying and recruiting target audiences using a blend of online and offline marketing channels to achieve agreed ROI.
- Develop individual data segmentation strategies and solicitation plans for multi- channel digital and off-line fundraising appeals to acquire, retain and upgrade existing donors.
- Write fundraising and development copy creating a persuasive ask for a range of audiences across all channels.
- Responsible for creating individual campaign metrics, target-setting and data analysis to increase income, working closely with the Senior Database Administrator to create appropriate dashboards and reporting metrics.
- Provide direct line management to the Senior Marketing Officer; following best practice management guidelines within the organisation.
- Working within the organisation’s financial regulations, be responsible for overall management of the marketing budget; carefully forecasting, tracking and reporting income and expenditure as required.
- Undertake any other duties consistent with the post and assist with other areas of work as required.
- Experience of developing, implementing and evaluating effective integrated fundraising strategies that have created shifts in the engagement and income generating capacity of an organisation.
- Demonstrable success in project management and proven experience in project-managing multi-dimensional cross- organisation projects.
- Creative approach, with the ability to develop and produce engaging and compelling written and visual content.
- Educated to degree standard or equivalent.
- Fundraising or marketing qualification.
- Oversee content creation for our digital and off-line donor communications.
- Excellent IT skills, including expertise in Google Analytics, email marketing software, CRM databases, Photoshop, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience of setting campaign performance metrics, monitoring activity to enhance performance and feedback results into insights.
- Financially astute with excellent budget management skills.
- Experience of line managing staff and ensuring support is provided appropriately across the team.
- A proven self-starter with the ability to prioritise and deliver high quality work, excellent team working and collaboration across the wider organisation.
- Positive and can-do attitude. Willingness to undertake a range of activities and a flexible approach to working in a small charity.
- Proven track record of developing and maintaining strong relationships to influence and motivate both internal and external stakeholders and third-party suppliers.
- Ensure compliance with data protection, information security and confidentiality principles.